Friday, September 14, 2012

Breathing is a Blessing...Gratitude an Attitude

Sometimes we take things for granted and are unaware of how thankful we should be for what we have received. I had no idea how much my deceased wife Elaine loved me until after she had made her transition. What she has done has committed me to loving my present wife Nicole as much and even more than I am loved. Thank you Elaine for what you've given me. I once reminded my nephew that I was providing him with food, clothing and shelter and that his grades did not reflect his appreciation. He told me that I had to take care of him. I know that his attitude has changed by now and I am grateful that he inadvertently pointed out how hurtful it can be when our efforts are taken for granted.

Nicole and I went backpacking with her cousin Kappe last week when I realized that my ability to breathe was hampered by a cold I'd contracted the day before. Mind you the trek, with packs on our backs, was a 3 mile hike up a mountain. It's one thing to walk 3 miles down the road, but because of inexperience I had no idea how strenuous it is to walk 3 miles up a mountainside. I had already claimed that I was not going to be made to look like the 'weaker sex', and so it was an unrelenting ego that would not allow me to be outdone by two women. This egotistic mindset, alongside the unmitigated Grace of God was the only way I was able to get to the top of that mountain. It was only when we came down the other side however, had settled at the campsite and had an opportunity to appreciate the beauty of creation that I actually realized that every breath I had taken was a gift from God and believe you me, I took quite a few coming up that mountain. Thinking about how we take something as important as breathing, a beating heart, or functioning organs for granted I began to truly appreciate how life itself is a gift, and that every thing and every body that contributes to our well being is a blessing.


After having rested the entire second day, and having savored the indescribable magnificence of what had been created for all the world to experience and enjoy, I felt ready to make the return trip up and down what I considered a magnanimous mountain. Although my cold had abated somewhat, it had not yet passed and I had several opportunities to experience how much a blessing it was just to be able to breathe. There was something else however that unequivocably illustrated how God can adjust our attitude through others. Nicole and I were climbing the mountain, still short of having reached the top, when Kappe appeared without her backpack and asked if I wanted her to carry my pack the rest of the way. It wasn't my ego this time that caused me to say no, but an undeniable understanding and a platitude of gratitude for Kappe and all the people that God allows to be a part of my life. It is because of other people, and the things they do, regardless of how significant or insignificant these things may seem, that make the days of our lives remarkably worthwhile.


Recognizing how blessed we are can be a humbling experience, but maintaining an attitude of gratitude for the blessings we receive, no matter in what form they may appear, makes every experience an opportunity to better ourselves and to give to others what has been given so freely to us. Thank you God for the breath of life and thanks to all of you for helping me to appreciate this gift and all that goes along with it.



To comment or respond click on the word comments at the bottom of the page or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. Love, Janniece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for responding and allowing me to touch your life.

      Love You Always

      Delete
  2. You Be Blessed as well Sister Sandra and thank you for your prayer of humble gratitude for us all

    ReplyDelete