Thursday, October 10, 2013

MUSIC MOVES THE UNIVERSE

Since the beginning of our existence music has always been present. What does music do? Playwright William Congreve in 

his 1697 play the 'Mourning Bride', expressed that music has a soothing effect. In the 1977 movie, 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' it was demonstrated that the sound of music could possibly initiate communication between mankind and beings from another planet. Just the other day I was on 4th Street in Long Beach and asked three students what music did for them. Jada of Long Beach College said that music was 'healing'. Eron, also of Long Beach College. said it was dependent on the situation. whether 'bumping some track music' while rolling in his car, or behind closed doors with friends listening to Erykah Badu. Ky, of Cerritos College, said that "Music connects.. all of us, around the world, in different ways." Now whether the foregoing statements are applicable to you or not…it goes without saying that music moves all of us in some form or fashion. Whether we want to turn it up, turn it down or turn it off…all music is going to elicit some type of response. It stands to reason that music is an integral part of our very existence, so the question is: What do we do with it?

My wife Nicole spoke at the TEDX conference in Costa Mesa a couple of weeks ago and said, "...we are all connected... to those outside of us, no matter how different they appear." This same mindset was resonated by our friend Ky when she commented that 'music connects'. Hopefully, it is the intent of every musician and all other purveyors of music, to connect every member of their respective audiences...one to another. Nicole continued her talk by saying, "When I forget me something really special happens." There's indeed something about music that allows you to forget everything, including yourself and whatever else might be on your mind. There's also something about music that causes you to do what I call 'Go In' and stay there until you're either distracted or ready to come out. When you're listening to music with others and they unawaringly 'Go In' with you... that's when the connection occurs …that's when we start feeling that 'something really special' is taking place.

Once I really started enjoying life, my appreciation for the arts escalated, and my connection to others, through music, reached an all time high. Communication, in any form, is the one medium that allows us to maximally connect. Whether it be through verbal or written conversation; visual arts or musical performances; communication is a viable means of reconciling with self and interacting with others. The intent of course, no matter how we go about implementing it, is for all of us to recognize and accept our 'Oneness'. I'm at a place now where I love life and live it to the fullest. Sharing this passion with others is what I do, and until I learn how to play my guitar well enough to perform, running my mouth is how I do it. Let it be known however, that music is just as important to me as words, and listening to others through music is a marvelous means for maintaining my connection to all of you.

Music has always been here and is here to stay…What you gon do with it?

I'll Holla.




To comment or respond click on the word comments at the bottom of the page or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment