Friday, May 15, 2015

Experience 101

Experience is the best teacher, so how do we get our grades? The cut, ‘Hard Knock Life’,from the broadway hit ‘Annie’,speaks to how some people feel about life’s merit system. 

Steada treated, we get tricked  
Steada kisses, we get kicked 
It's the hard knock life!

What I’m hearing is that we want to be accepted and respected, but instead we’re being hoodwinked and rejected. What I’m believing is that life is simple but the way we approach it will determine the amount of hardship we encounter. In short, our attitude and actions will dictate how well we learn from what we’re experiencing. I’m doing my best to accept that people, including myself, are going to be who we are, and do what we do, until we make a spiritual decision to change. If I’m having a hard time dealing with others, or am upset about the situations I find myself in, then  my only option is to change.

Most of you already know about the discomforts I’ve experienced, like cancer, divorce, drug addiction, and racism. What you might not know is that I’ve been lied to, cheated, stolen from, and suffer from bouts of unworthiness and low self esteem. You wanna know how I feel about all of this? I am not alone. We all go through stuff, and as long as we’re living on this earthly realm, …it ain’t gon stop. It’s not about what happens to us, or who we think caused it, it’s about how we respond.

I thank God for my drug life, cause can’t too many people beat me out of money or compromise my financial well being. I knew that pimps, players and hustlers were in the night clubs and houses of ill repute, but now I know that they reside in executive offices and corporate boardrooms as well. I appreciate the illnesses I’ve endured because I’ve come to realize that all the surgeries, medications, herbs, and alternative treatments have their place, but faith and the desire to be healthy is what’s most important in the recovery process. Last but certainly not least, I thank all the haters and naysayers for not believing in me cause you only provoke me to be stronger in fulfilling my God-Given Purpose for being here. That purpose…To be of service to others.

Now don’t get it twisted. There's the good experiences as well, which teach us how important it is to give and to be grateful for what we receive. Y’all actually read my blogs and listen to my radio show. I’ve even been approached by those of you young and old, friend and stranger, who have thanked me for something I’ve said or done to enhance your life experience, and it’s those particular encounters that coerce me into wanting to do so much more.

Everyone, everywhere has had similar experiences, and my contention is that it is through these experiences that we grade ourselves. An acquisition of knowledge is fine, but a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate Degree in life skills is what makes us who we are. We will continue to  experience life, and it's how we respond to its challenges that will determine our grade point average.

I’ll Holla…


To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment