Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Doing What We Do

I heard that, “Old men talk about what they’ve done, young men talk about what they’re doing, and fools talk about what they’re  going to do. I personally don’t consider myself young, old or a fool, and maybe that’s why I talk about all three. Another reason might be that I love to run my mouth and that 1) I want you to know what has happened in my life thus far, 2) what I’m doing with my life now, and 3) what I’m looking to do later on. Maybe it’ll help you maybe it won’t, but at least you’ll get a chance to decide whether what this old, young, or fool of a man is saying can help you in one way or another.

In regard to talking from each of the above perspectives, this is my 101st blog and 87th radio show so I’ve done a lot of talking. What I’m doing right now is writing blogs, hosting talk shows, traveling with my wife and babysitting our granddaughter. What I’m going to  do is move into another house, get some land and start manifesting the plan outlined in my earlier posting entitled “Billion Dollar Blog”

I believe that what the educator Carter G. Woodson implies in the opening statement, is that old men, young men, and fools talk a good game, but it’s what they actually do that really matters. We men have a tendency to embellish our conversations and often say that we’ve done more than we have actually done, that we’re doing more than we are really doing, and that we’re going to do more than we generally wind up doing. I take sides with Andrew Carnegie who said, “As I grow older I pay less attention to what men say, I just watch what they do.”

What it’s really all about ya’ll is simply doing what we do. You see each of us has been blessed with  something meaningful to do, and simply talking about it ain’t gonna get it done. Mr. Woodson is a renown educator, Carnegie an empire builder, and both of them have left us with legacies that speak volumes for their accomplishments. We might not reach their level of notoriety, but that does not diminish the importance of what we have been assigned to do. Be it shining shoes or singing the blues, if we don’t do what we’re supposed to do, the universe can’t respond with being all that it can be and, giving all that it’s capable of giving in return.

What is our assignment? Whatever it is that we’re doing right now as long as it’s not bringing harm to another. Doing what we do, and doing it as best we can is really all that matters. We needn’t worry about what to say cause what we do speaks for itself. It also goes without saying, that we can learn more from one’s example than we can from their conversation. So be okay with where you are, knowing that it’s exactly where you’re supposed to be, and understanding that it’s from where you are right now that  your greatness is going to come…as long as you persevere in striving to be all that you can be.

In regard to what I’ve done, what I’m doing right now, and what I’m getting ready to do…all I can say is watch my smoke cause I’m going to continue being me and I’m going to continue trying to be the best that I can be.

                                                                      
I’ll holla…


To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Love it brother Calvin! The key phrase for me is,"Be it shining shoes or singing the blues, if we don’t do what we’re supposed to do, the universe can’t respond with being all that it can be and, giving all that it’s capable of giving in return." That is truly dope and right on time. Keep doing what you do and thank you for bringing inspiration to us.

    Felton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Felton for receiving and accepting it, and know that your support is what keeps it moving...

    STAY WELL

    ReplyDelete