Saturday, December 31, 2016

HUGS ARE HAPPINESS

It’s make a resolution time. That moment at the beginning of the year when we say we’re going to commit to doing something, but we don’t always do it for the entire year. I’m not going to make one this year, but I’m gonna step up my game in doing what’s already being done…hugging.

Check out this information at http://20somethingallergies.com. It’s entitled: Boost Your Immune System in 15 Seconds: How To Thump Your Thymus, and it goes like this.

“Behind your sternum, or breastbone, sits the thymus gland.It is part of the lymphatic immune system and is responsible for maturing infection-fighting white blood cells (T cells) made in our bone marrow.‘Thumping your thymus’ is a method of gently tapping on the thymus gland to create vibrations that stimulate an increase in the maturation and release of white blood cells.It has also been shown to slow down gland atrophy. The thymus gland begins to break down and shrink after puberty, and it’s been theorized that this happens in humans because we have lost the instinct to stimulate it regularly.”

After reading this I surmised that as children some of us were hugged by our parents, grandparents and others on a regular basis. Then we got too big for our britches, and the hugging stopped. For me that means if you stop hugging, you gotta start thumping in order to boost your immune system.

Did a little more research and found an article by Josh Richardson entitled 9 Reasons You Need To Be Giving and Receiving Hugs Everyday. It can be found at http://preventdisease.com/news/14/012314_9-Reasons-Need-Giving-Receiving-Hugs-Everyday.shtml, and here’s what it says:

“Hugging helps the immune system, cures depression, reduces stress and induces sleep. It's invigorating, rejuvenating and has no unpleasant side effects. It is all natural, organic, naturally sweet, no pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients and 100 percent wholesome.” The article went on to say that hugging, aside from stimulating the thymus, cultivates patience, prevents disease, boosts self esteem, and communicates love and caring without having to say a word.

I don’t know about y’all but hugging is not going to be my New Years Resolution, but a way of life. Our world definitely needs more LOVE and HAPPINESS, so if I can give and receive it with a simple hug, and get healthier in the process…it’s on y’all. 

I’ll holla…

To comment or respond to this blog please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. You know I already shared on Google and then in the string on FB where my sis was asking for three words for 2017. But now coming back here. Your post was a refreshing read, and also it was fascinating to see the quotes you included from those articles ... Fabulous! There's some healing method called 'tapping' (I'm not very familiar with it), but I saw one video and, if I'm recalling correctly, one of the tapping spots was the sternum (!). Also, hugging is the key component of the work of the spiritual leader Amma (whom I learned about because a friend happens to be one of her followers). Just in the last several weeks my mom and I happened to identify 6 or 7 different ways to hug while facing each other (not one of those side-by-side deals). So depending on which side of the face and whether your arms are over or under or a combination thereof, you can do many different hugs. And when you are hugging, both parties are in balance, so to speak -- it's especially a great way to connect with a loved one who is facing challenges with balance and stability. I jokingly referred to it as hugging therapy. Who knew??!!! Thank you again! <<<>>>> [that's an e-hug]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Manisha...you've taken this blog to another level. I appreciate your sharing the advantages of "hugging therapy", and I'm sure you and your mom benefitted physically, emotionally and spiritually from the several different modes. Here's an e-hug right back at you....

    ReplyDelete