Thursday, June 12, 2014

What You Gon Do

When I was in the midst of my past bout with cancer, I felt like crying sometimes and I did, knowing that the tears would wash away the anguish. At other times the thoughts about poor ole me were replaced by what's going on with the folks younger than myself. Like the 70,000 adolescents and young adults who are being stricken with this disease every year. I was 64 years old and crying and these young people had not even experienced half the years of good living I'd been blessed to enjoy. Yet both these responses to my condition left me feeling that there must be something that leaves me with a greater sense of satisfaction and well being.

Had the opportunity to watch Richard Pryor's performance 'Live On The Sunset Strip' again, and he explained the circumstances prior to his catching on fire. He talked about how he became addicted to freebasing (smoking cocaine), and how it became virtually impossible for him to stop. Then he spoke of how football professional and activist Jim Brown came to his home, while he was freebasing, and asked a very pertinent question..."What you gon do?' Of course Richard had considered stopping because, when not in the act of freebasing, he was constantly being reminded of his extreme weight loss and his lack of concern for his endangered state of being. He refused to adequately address Jim Brown's question, by saying I'm going to continue doing what I do, and so it was answered for him...he literally got burned.

Whatever we're being confronted with, whatever we're going through, that question has to be answered by us or it will be answered for us, and usually in a manner that can be totally overwhelming. And you know what, that only means we have to deal with another more extreme confrontation that poses the exact same question...'What you gon do?'

I've already expressed that I've dealt with my personal bout with cancer and the answer to the aforementioned question, by first feeling sorry for myself and then focusing on the plight of those younger than me who are in  the same situation. However, I have since taken the stance that those particular responses to that nagging question leave something to be desired. I've decided to throw myself all the more into writing these blogs, finishing my book, and talking to more people, via the radio show, about how they deal with situations we are all faced with on a daily basis.

I know that we'll all be faced with more decision making circumstances from what to wear to where do we go from here. Blog or book writing may not even factor in but the question of 'What we gon do' will be answered, either now or later.  It is my contention that adherence to a spiritual condition that advocates honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness, and that promotes faith, hope, and LOVE will more than answer our questions. It will not merely show us  what we can do about now,  it will prepare us for all the 'What yo gon do's that lie on the horizon.

I'll holla.

To comment or respond click on the word comments at the bottom of this page or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com






1 comment:

  1. Preach and Teach Reverend Florentino cause I know you Practice it....

    BE BLESSED
    BE WELL

    ReplyDelete