Saturday, August 8, 2015

It's All About Me

I was in a mall one day, and saw a little girl about 7 years old wearing a tee shirt that read 'IT'S ALL ABOUT ME'. Now that encounter was cute to me because the child seemed to innocently believe the words she displayed. On the other hand. when I see grown folks who act like it's all about them, I take issue with their attitude. Just last week however, I had the opportunity and pleasure of talking with someone I admire, and now I'm convinced that it is all about me, and that the same condition applies to each and every one of you.

About eight months ago, I began earnestly reading and listening to long time activist Dick Gregory's articles and talks. By doing so I have been challenged, enlightened, uplifted, and driven to be all that I can be. So much so that I sent an email to Mr. Gregory's Facebook page, requesting a personal meeting with him. My thinking was that the chances of him responding were a billion to one, yet I still decided to go for that one chance. With the universe being what it is,  and life always unfolding exactly as it should, this is what happened in Chicago last week, six months after my Facebook request.

I'm sitting in O'Hare Airport and get up to go to a concession stand. While there I see this older gentleman with a relatively long grey beard, wearing a tan suit, well shined burnt orange shoes, and a matching beige cap which is pulled down close to his eyes. As I get a glimpse of his face I think "Man, that guy sure looks like Dick Gregory....Naw, it can't be." Curiosity prevails however, and I walk over to him and say 'Excuse me Sir, has anyone ever told you how much you resemble Dick Gregory?" "I am He" was his response.

Upon gathering my composure, I made him aware of my attempt to contact him and he responded that he literally works 280 days a year, and if I were the Surgeon General of the United States my chances of reaching him would be just as slim. "I would still like for you to personally share some of your knowledge with me" I implore,  and he gives me a couple of topics that he says I should google. He then  asks where I'm headed. "To Los Angeles" I respond,  and he tells me that he's on his way to Washington D.C.  Not wanting to risk this being our last correspondence,  I question how I can access more of the information that he shares in regard to our global condition.  "You know about google huh?" is his paraphrased response,  "Well just go online. "

Feeling completely abandoned and totally unfulfilled, I walk away wondering what just happened. In retrospect however, I totally understood. I wanted answers to be given to me. I wanted someone else to resolve the problems that I felt confronted me. What I was being told by Mr. Gregory was that it's all up to you Calvin. It's all about going inside and finding out how much you're willing to do about what's going on outside. It was then that I was reminded that we are all here to be representatives of righteousness, and if the world ain't righteous and we're feeling helpless to do anything about it, then we haven't gone far enough inside of self to find out why we feel that way and what we can do to at least address that feeling.

Just about everybody, the world over has been moved, and most people are up in arms about the latest racial incident in South Carolina. Grown white people are asking why and little white boys are saying it's got to stop. Grown black folks are posting their displeasure on social media, and young black kids are asking what we gon do. The problem is that most people are reacting to what's going on rather than formulating a means for addressing it. Who's responsible for making something happen? That's right, it's us.

Let me share an affirmation, found in a Dick Gregory publication, that I look in the mirror and say to myself at least once a day. "I love myself unconditionally, and every day, in every way, I am getting healthier, and healthier, and healthier."  This verbal affirmation stimulates my subconscious and with just a week of practice I can already feel a positive change unfolding. I already know that it's just a matter of time before the words I speak become a conscious reality.

I totally understand that in order to deal with the outside stuff I have to know who and what it is that I'm working with from the inside. Before I can understand and deal with an unjust society and the victims and perpetuators of the racism that supports that society, I have to know and deal with the me inside. That's first and foremost who it's all about.

I'll holla....

To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment