Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Language Is Not Necessarily The Only Barrier

As I write this blog, we’re in Paris,France, on our way to Mali, in West Africa, and I’ve been totally and positively impacted by what I’ve seen and heard in our short time here. I just finished interviewing Kelli Mamadou, who started her own software company, and Patrick Jerier, who is one of her employees and also a software technology educator. They are both from the French island of Martinique, and it was in talking with them that this blog was inspired. Patrick prompted the context of the blog, through his ability and willingness to speak with me in English, and Kelli inspired its message by quoting Martinique born philosopher, writer, psychiatrist, and revolutionary Frantz Fanon. “…each generation must…discover its mission, fulfill it or betray it…”

Speaking more than one language is definitely a plus if we are to maximally interact with each other on a global scale. For instance, Mali is a predominately French speaking country, and Nicole and I have been hoping, for over a year, that we would be speaking French by the time of our upcoming trip. It was trying to obtain visas at the Malian Embassy yesterday, that convinced me of the benefits of being at least bi-lingual.

We arrived at the embassy at 10am and waited in a block long line until about an hour and a half before we entered the building. Once we got inside it took another 30 minutes until we approached the front desk. Because of our inability to speak French, and the guy at the front desk having no understanding of the English language, it took another 10 minutes before we were made aware that no more visas applications would be issued until visa express time at 2:00pm. As it turns out, language was not a barrier from receiving our visas, but had we spoken French we could have found out a lot earlier that coming back at 2:00pm was an option.

The Fanon quotation,  “…each generation must…discover its mission, fulfill it or betray it…”  is a boon to my belief that we must be rid of what’s been called the ‘generation gap’. If we are to gain true insight from, and a solid connectivity to, one another., we must at least collaborate. In talking to Kelli and Patrick I’ve sensed that they not only believe in, but are dedicated to Fanon’s approach to our purpose in life. They are not only focused on doing their part in bringing equity and acknowledgement to their personal environment and beyond, but are grateful to their parents and ancestors for having paved the way. 

To all our youth and young adults I say thank you for your energy and passion in trying to make a difference in this world, but don’t forget to appreciate the ones who came before you even if you don’t agree with how they went about doing what they did. To all the elders I say thank you for what you’ve already done, and ask that you support our youth with suggestions and guidance rather than condemning them with criticism of, and fault finding with, what they have sought to undertake.

I thank those who have gone on before me, my family and friends, the folk in the Malian embassy, my new found friends Kelli and Patrick, and all of you for being in my life and for being a part of my staying ‘green and growing’ in my quest to be of maximum service to all. And if anyone out there has time, and is willing to teach French, holla back.


I’ll holla…

To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment