Monday, April 13, 2015

The Revolution Might Be Instagrammed

Regardless of our religious affiliation, I’m sure we’re all aware of what’s called the second coming of Christ. There are biblical accounts of what will take place at that time, with references to a lightening-like brightness, the heavens opening up, and Jesus’ appearing on a white horse. The point being made is that the date and time of this event is unknown, and therefore we should prepare ourselves now by dealing with each other in a righteous manner.

I was talking to a minister last Saturday about how the rampant decline of church membership might be due to our capability to access a church’s activities on social media. His feeling was that people were too dependent on technology and thereby out of touch with the spiritual significance of what they were receiving online. According to him, “The only way some people will know about Jesus’ coming is if they happen to be on Facebook at the time.”

Our conversation reminded me of a line from a song performed by a group called ‘The Last Poets’, that line being…”The revolution will not be televised.”  In the context of what we’re discussing however, it will be Instagrammed. Jesus’ message is that we should be morally prepared for the final revolution that will take place on earth. For me, revolutions or changes take place every day, and I’m wondering if we’re prepared for what’s going on right now, let alone what’s yet to come.

I’d like to share four statements which express my feelings on how, when interacting with others, we can best prepare ourselves for whatever might take place.

1. Be willing to honestly share your thoughts and feelings for the benefit of the listener.
2. Be contemplative before taking action that might negatively affect someone else.
3. Be open minded concerning the thoughts and ideas of others. and
4. Be always ready to reassess and modify who you are. 

Saying that you're a revolutionary is an easy task because you don’t really have to care for the well being of others, you just have to act like you do. Being a revolutionary means sacrificing one's own ambitions to meet the needs of the people one serves. The objective is to attempt success from the efforts one makes each day, and to be willing to accept defeat as a catalyst for the next endeavor.

Now I know that revolutionary activity can be displayed on the social media, but despite that possibility, I’m gonna do my best to adhere to the statements I’ve outlined above because I believe in treating others as I would like to be treated. Besides that, when the revolution comes, and it is instagrammed, I want my face to reflect the joy that comes from righteousness.

I’ll holla…

To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment