Friday, April 24, 2015

Who's In Charge...Them Or Us?

Would somebody please tell me why we're constantly allowing technology to take our humanity? Case in point. I think I'm calling my friend's number, he doesn't answer, and here's the message I get: "You've reached the voice mailbox of 333-456-7890." First of all, I don't know anybody with the name 333. Secondly, my friend is black and the person answering the phone obviously ain't. So why, if he's not available, or not going to answer the phone, didn't my friend at least leave a personalized message, so that I'd know I had the right number.

Here's my take on the situation. We're becoming so reliant on technology, that we're forgetting that we're supposed to be thoughtful, caring human beings and not the machines that we've created. Let's take a look at where our dependence on just one impersonal communications devices, the smart phone, is taking us.

First of all we're becoming insensitive. We're not taking into consideration that the person calling us might be in a situation that requires immediate attention. Let's go back to the 333-456 scenario. Here's what it might sound like. "Now I know I haven't talked to Mustafa for a couple of weeks, but right now he's the only one that can help me. Who is this white guy answering his phone? Is this the right number or what? " 

Secondly, we're allowing a gadget to relieve the fear of what might happen, and thereby preventing ourselves from enjoying what can happen. We pick the standard message, rather than a personal one, because we don't want everybody who calls to know our name. It might be a creditor, or somebody we don't want to talk to, or somebody selling something that we don't want to buy. Let's stop being 'skurred' y'all. Let em know "Yeah, it's me and whatever it is you want I don't have right now, and when and if I do get it ...I'll holla back. By doing that, we open ourselves up to receive the positive things that a phone call just might bring.


And thirdly, we're compromising our human capabilities cause we're letting machines do for us what we can do for ourselves. Let's quit feeding into that industrialized concept which says, 'time is money'. Time is time and money is money...period. Since you've already spent your money on this new and improved communications device, take a little time to let the universe know that you're in charge and not this little gadget you can hold in one hand or with no hands at all. When the prompter asks would you like to set up your own voice mail response, say "Hell to the yeah", cause I'm still here and I'm responsible for the ground I'm standing on, not this phone I'm holding on to.  

I'll Holla...

To comment or respond please click on the word comments at the bottom of this page, or email me at grace.calvin187@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment