Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Does It Make You Wanna Holla

Positive communication is certainly the lick, and I believe that we should try and holla at somebody at least once a day. This conviction was renewed when my mother told me last Tuesday that she was committed to complimenting somebody each and every day. She said that she might say something as simple as "I like your shoes ", and not only would it put a smile on the face of the one spoken to, but it made her feel good about herself. No matter how miniscule just speaking to another human being may seem, it will inevitably and undoubtedly release positive vibrations into the universe. Just watch one showing of CNN (Continuous Negative News), and you'll be convinced that we are definitely in need of some positive vibes.

I was thinking about how everyone has developed some degree of communication skills and, regardless of the source, these skills can be employed to benefit others. I have experienced many years of formal education and commend those of you who attended school with the intent of really learning something. As for me, after about the sixth grade, I went with the express intent of doing as little as possible while reaping 100 times more than I put in. I learned how to repeat what had been said to me, in the same manner in which it had been said, in the hopes of making more money than other folk by simply running my mouth. I can't say enough about folk like George Washington Carver who, on the other hand, sought to communicate what they had learned in order to positively influence the lives of others.

Despite the fact that our society lauds those with degrees, there are volumes to be said for those who have established and maintained a volume of communication skills predicated primarily on the determination to survive and prosper. My drug use, during random education hiatuses, required that I develop an effective set of these coping skills so that I could be somewhat successful in my endeavors to stay on top of the game without getting caught. I earnestly applaud those who feel they have no other choice but to live in this arena, and send major kudos to folk like Malik El Haji Shabazz who are able to employ the same type of skills to educate and enhance the lives of others.

The one thing lacking in the acquisition of communicative skills, was that I had no desire to unconditionally share them with another. Until I went back to school, with the intent of helping others, did i understand that we all have something valuable to say and that our circumstances are the only thing that might dictate how its said. The positive vibrations that emanate from both a compassionate conversation and a heartfelt hello have far-reaching beneficial effects, the magnitude of which cannot be measured. What I'm suggesting is that we employ our communication skills, no matter how we acquired them, to uplift one another, knowing that the entire universe will benefit as a result of our contribution to it.

Thank you Mom for the pull-up, and thanks to all of you who are committed to graciously holla at somebody at sometime.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Calvin: Thanks for the mention. Your conversation has been about love and my comment was made with thoughts of love. Compliments generally elicit a postive response, when our intent is pure, and this response, in my opinion, can be rewarding. These actions can then lead to thoughts of love and the goal of oneness. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Mother Dear and I guess it's true that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

      Love You,
      C (See)

      Delete
    2. Hey Calvin
      As a chaplain/chaplain educator this speaks volumes to me. As I provide pastoral care to patients, families & my students I choose my words carefully. How I communicate is important so that Gods presence is evident in & though my life. My goal is to give encouragement, support & words that will uplift. My education taught me communication skills, but what's more important is that my words & actions show love, compassion & care. Just wanted to encourage you & Holla back! Love you Angie

      Delete
  2. Love you too Angie and you are definitely heeding the biblical verse that says "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." You stay encouraged as well.

    Calvin

    ReplyDelete