Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Feeling What's Real

There's an old adage that goes "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear". I'm certain that most of us are in agreement with this applicable truth because every day we're exposed to media outlets that are so caught up in making money, that the advertisers' or stock holders' truth, whether it's veritable or not, is what we see. Our corporations, dedicated to marketing consumer goods, are totally focused on making the unreal seem real and convincing us that the lie we're hearing is actually the truth. What we're seeing the world over is gloom and doom, and what we're hearing is that the more you buy from me, the better you'll be able to experience joy in spite of what's going on around you. Life itself, as we know it is becoming harder and harder to believe.

Something that I've not had the pleasure of hearing lately is "You feel me"? The intent inherent in this particular query is not to convince the hearer to unconditionally believe what's being said, but rather to be assured that what's being heard is being heard from the perspective of the person doing the talking. I'm in total alignment with this concept and believe that if we focus more on 'feeling' what's being seen or heard, we'll become more discreet in what we choose to believe.

Had an opportunity to experience the Bob Marley documentary this past Saturday, and up to that point I had only seen him in the media, and only heard of his struggle to bring Jamaican Reggae into the mainstream of the music world. Until I was able to actually feel his presence through the film, I had little idea of who he really was because my knowledge was limited to and contingent on how others depicted him. This is not an attempt to say that these depictions were faulty, but to convey the importance of striving to become one with those whose lives we have an opportunity to share.




During the film I was totally impressed with Bob Marley's level of integrity, and how he refused to compromise his ideals to make a deal. It was also amazing how he, at the same time, made concessions to insure that the intent to expose the conceptual components of Reggae and Rasta to the rest of the world was not cut short. All this was done with or without the support of fellow band members and friends, and intermittently at the risk of life and limb. I automatically felt a connection because of my personal endeavor to embody these same principles. On the other hand I, at first, was not feeling what I deemed as his lack of interaction and commitment to the purported eleven children he had with seven different women. I had to subsequently accept the fact that I too have been simultaneously involved in intimate relationships during my life, and that the children involved, although not blood-related, undoubtedly experienced a degree of discomfort in their lives as a result of my presence or lack thereof. After realizing that I am not fit nor qualified to judge anyone, I was able to connect once more and willing to accept that although I might not condone what others do, I should always try and understand why it's being done.

Part of the lyrics in Lil Wayne's rendition of the Nina Simone song 'Misunderstood' goes: "They'd rather speculate before they informate". It speaks volumes for our judging and condemning someone, based on what we've seen and heard, before we know who they really are. All of us fall short in our endeavors, and seeing and listening to someone else's hearsay is of no real value because it may be based on their own shortcomings. In  our every day experiences we're going to encounter people and things we've seen and heard about, and people and things we have no knowledge of as well. I'm suggesting that from this point on we try and feel who and what we're in the presence of. Even if someone is pissing us off, let's feel that person, accept them for who they are, and understand, not necessarily what we're seeing or hearing, but what it is that God intends for us to gain from the experience.

In life we're going to experience things we either like, dislike or are oblivious to. Let's not be oblivious to anything because if it affects one it affects us all. If we like it that's cool because we have encountered and felt a connection to something that exists in us. If we don't like it, let's not judge or condemn, let's feel what's really going on. Let's take a look within and see if there's something inside of us that needs to be checked. Let's try and figure out what we need to do to make things better for ourselves and for all involved.  Whatever the case, let's diminish the importance of what we see and hear, let's focus less on what could and should be, and let's devote ourselves to recognizing and participating in what truly is.
Ya feel me...?




Feel free to post a comment or e-mail me at grace.calvin187@gnail.com

6 comments:

  1. It's truly the meaning and, the purpose we divine for ourselves rather than the message or its messenger. Indeed, I feel ya, Calvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Leamon, and thanks for reminding me of the importance of motive and intent

      Delete
  2. It is time for someone to speak the truth and Calvin you have your finger on the pulse. love you Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too, and I sincerely appreciate your encouragement and support.

    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rev!
    Most people a unaware of FEELINGS until some situation affects them. WE are always ready to see the negative instead of the positive in a place, person or thing.

    At my place of work I encounter that myself and I most be honest an say that I too have had to as you say put myself in check many times. I have to remind myself where I work and who my clientele are.

    They still deserve my respect as well as the services that I provide, despite there situation ( which is none of my business in the first place).
    At times in order to really be able to get to the root of there real problem, I have to listen to things I shouldn't and really don't want to hear.. BUT if that is what it takes to get that individual to a better place to survive their living arrangements weather short or long term that is what I do!

    Rom: 3:23 We all ave fall to sin and fallen short of the glory of GOD!
    I listen to them, I see and feel their pain, in order to get to the root of the real problem. I allow them to scream, yell, holla curse, what ever it takes to help them unload some of the burden. Hell some time I holla with them!!!. Just to let them know that I do not only understand but "FEEL THEM TO"

    In order to understand to phrase "You Feel Me" One must go beyond their own feelings and and try to understand some one else's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rosalyn for your testimony and desire and endeavor to 'feel' where people are.

    Love You

    ReplyDelete